Regulations and informational resources
For biosafety with research activities
Federal regulations & resources
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- BMBL Section V: Vertebrate Animal Biosafety Level Criteria for Vivarium Research Facilities (pdf)
- BMBL Appendix G: Integrated Pest Management (pdf)
National Institutes of Health
U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA)
U.S. Department of Commerce, International Trade Administration
U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Safety and Health Administration
U.S. Department of the Interior
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
U.S. Food and Drug Administration
State regulations & resources
Washington State Department of Agriculture Plant Protection Division
Washington State Department of Health
Washington State Legislature, Washington Administrative Code
WSU administrative units
Supports and promotes ethical research practices at Washington State University. Subordinate units include the following:
- Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC): Oversees the safe use and handling of potentially biohazardous materials on the WSU campus. The IBC Manual (pdf) details the policies and regulations governing research with biological materials and the requirements for submitting research proposals for review by the WSU IBC.
- Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC): Ensures that all vertebrate animals involved in WSU teaching or research receive ethical and humane care and treatment. IACUC informational resources can help guide the work of principal investigators, animal managers, and students.
- Radiation safety office: Promotes safe and compliant use of sources of ionizing radiation for research, instruction, and the benefit of the community
- Radiation Safety Committee (RSC): Reviews, evaluates, and approves safety standards, facility standards, training requirements, and license requirements associated with the use, storage, and disposal of radioactive materials and radiation-producing machines
- Hazardous materials and dangerous good shipment: Assists faculty and staff who need to ship dangerous goods using ground transportation or transport hazardous materials by air.
- Institutional Review Board (IRB): Reviews and approves all research activities involving human subjects
- Export Controls: Supports faculty and staff who are working with foreign nationals or entities to ensure legal compliance
Oversees all animal care and facilities at WSU. The laboratory animal care and use program complies with federal, state, and local guidelines for laboratory animal care.
Helps WSU faculty and graduate students prepare and submit research proposals and review subsequent awards for those proposals with sponsoring organizations.
Develops and implements WSU safety policies and procedures as a non-academic service department. It has knowledge of institutional, local, state, and federal environmental health and safety policies applicable to research.
American Association for Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS)
American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine
Association for Assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care International (AAALAC)
Foundation for Biomedical Research
NetVet Veterinary Resources
NetVet Veterinary Government and Law Resources
Public Health Agency of Canada: Pathogen Safety Data Sheets and Risk Assessment
From Washington State University
Office of Research Support and Operations memoranda index
Memorandum #13 (pdf) outlines Institutional Biosafety Committee policy.